Prepping the Next Build – Chuckanut 15

Transferring the frame patterns

 

I’m hoping to get this second boat done in time for a trip to the marshes of Mathews County on the Chesapeake in a couple of weeks. Last week Doug was all set to help rip the long stringers to start the next boat – Dave Gentry’s Chuckanut 15. But work blew up in a big way, and the whole weekend was a bust.

Dave called today and had to cancel a camping trip at the last minute, so suddenly had time to help cut the frames, if I was available. Heck yeah.

The Chuckanut 15 is the same design as the one just finished for T – but 3 feet longer and a tad wider. I found I’m a little too big for her boat. It’s perfect for her, but my knees sometimes poked up out of the cockpit. Also, I may want extra room for a cooler and fishing gear. Dave made the 15 footer technically big enough for two small paddlers in tandem, but says it works really well for what I describe as a solo boat. So the 15 it is.

With the two of us working, all the frames were done in two hours.

Dave has patterns already on hand, we just had to trace them onto the plywood. Then cut them out with a jigsaw.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Next was fine tuning some of the cuts on a bandsaw, then cleaning up the curves and rounding over the edges with his handy spindle sander. Many hands make quick work.

 

 

 

 

 

Next up, back to ripping the long stringers that form the chines, keel, etc..

 

#skinonframekayak #chuckanut15 #handmade #eyeinhand

Finish Details – Chuckanut 12s

Dave Gentry’s Chuckanut 12s almost done.

 

Added another coat of paint to deck and hull in the evenings earlier this week so it would dry by the weekend.

Friday night, I made a rough wishbone with marine ply from Dave, added some oak trim molding to beef up the edge, and joined the two sides with a riding “pommel” made of hardwood scrap from my shop. It was glued, parts clamped together, and the whole thing screwed in place, the pieces slightly oversize.

 

 

Saturday morning the glue was set well enough to trim off the excess wood and sand smooth, then varnish.

 

 

I’ve been trying out a water based polyurethane. I don’t know how well it will hold up, but it sure is easy to use. Dries to touch in a half hour, and can recoat in two. So while I worked on the rub rails I could take a break to give it a light sanding and another coat. By the end of the day it was done and ready to attach. Just screwed back in place.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The rub rails were pretty easy, just a lot of countersink drilling and screws. Pre-varnished before attaching. Straps help when you only have two hands.

 

 

 

By Saturday night, it was ready for a splash.

 

 

 

 

The only thing missing is a small piece of plywood coaming for the back of the cockpit. I must have left that over at Dave’s shop. I’ll see if he has a scrap I can use.

The folding canoe seats we already had seem to fit well. They strap down under the floorboards. Should be a welcome bit of padding for back and bottom. Maybe that and a life jacket will be enough for comfy recline.

I have material to add bungie gear straps to the fore and aft decks, but may wait until we try it out first.

 

#skinonframekayak #handmade #woodenboat #eyeinhand